Higlett upsets E1 balance Whilst Milner, Sanders and Bacon Continue On Glory Path
After a three-month long break after Dungog, the Yamaha Australian Off-Road Championship (AORC) has returned with an almighty bang in Kyogle, New South Wales (NSW), for Rounds 5 & 6. Featuring back-to-back Sprint formats, our E1, E2, E3 and EJ classes were challenged with two highly technical tests, the Yamaha WR 450F and the Off Road Advantage.
Coming out on top after a multitude of riders tasting the glory of being fastest in their class was Fraser Higlett (Husqvarna Enduro Racing Team) for E1, Daniel Milner (KTM Enduro Racing Team) for E2, Daniel “Chucky” Sanders (Husqvarna Enduro Racing Team) for E3 and Kyron Bacon (MX Store, KTM) for EJ.
Round 5 has marked another major shake up to the list of Championship contenders, with Higlett clawing his way through two highly challenging and technical tests to finish top of his class. With a total time today of 1:33:02.316, Higlett fought off first place from Lydon Snodgrass (KTM Enduro Racing Team), who is also a popular contender for the 2019 E1 title. Snodgrass finished in second place today with a total time of 1:34:36.886. Rounding out the podium today for Round 5 was Active8 Yamaha Yamahalube’s Michael Driscoll, who finished with a total time of 1:34:43.018.
Round 5 marks a signifies change up to the podium for the heavily talented E1 pool, with reigning Champion Luke Styke (Active8 Yamaha Yamalube) settling for fourth place behind his team mate Driscoll, with a total time of 1:34:48.329.
AORC E1 Round 5 Top 10 Provisional Results:
- Fraser Higlett (Husqvarna Enduro Racing Team) 1:33:02.316
- Lyndon Snodgrass (KTM Enduro Racing Team) 1:34:36.886
- Michael Driscoll (Active8 Yamaha Yamalube) 1:34:43.018
- Luke Styke (Active8 Yamaha Yamalube) 1:34:48.329
- Lachlan Allan (Kawasaki Castrol Factory Racing) 1:44:55.807
- Kye Malone 1:46:16.676
- Joseph Cole 1:49:40.256
- Alexander Rudloff (Kawasaki) 1:52:16.624
- Cohn Evans (Moto 1 KTM) 2:07:51.915
- Matthew Magill 2:08:06.942
In E2 today, it was a fiery battle between Josh Green (Active8 Yamaha Yamalube) and Milner for top spot, but after a long and challenging day, it was Milner who finished in first place with a total time of 1:31:51.997. With both Green and Milner battling injuries, this feat was another testament to their profession. Green finished today in second with a total time of 1:33:38.524. Rounding out the E2 podium for Round 5 was Jeremy Carpentier (Yamaha MX Store Ballards Off-Road Team), with a total time of 1:36:36.181.
Milner also confirmed that Round 5 marks a change from a 350 to 450cc KTM.
“We’ve moved on up to a 450cc from this round onwards. I’m really enjoying the new bike but with the addition of my injury, today was a tough day,” explained Milner.
“The competition between me and Greeny is really solid and I’m enjoying that tussle for top spot!”
Round 5 has also seen newcomer to the E2 class, Jonte Reynders (Motul Pirelli Sherco Factory Team) finish an impressive fourth place behind Carpentier.
AORC E2 Round 5 Top 10 Provisional Results:
- Daniel Milner (KTM Enduro Racing Team) 1:31:51.997
- Josh Green (Active8 Yamaha Yamalube) 1:33:38.524
- Jeremy Carpentier (Yamaha MX Store Ballards Off-Road Team) 1:36:36.181
- Jonte Reynders (Motul Pirelli Sherco Factory Racing Team) 1:37:07.934
- Brad Hardaker 1:39:08.201
- Harrison Teed 1:41:32.041
- Brent Dean 1:42:55.938
- Jacob Peacock 1:45:24.113
- Hayden Keeley 1:45:50.102
- Brock Nichols 1:46:41.288
Round 5 marked a fantastic moment for current E3 2019 title leader, Chucky, as he succeeded in collecting first place and also clocked in the fastest time of the day, 1:30:23.121. Following on from his podium finish earlier this year at Finke Desert Race, Beau Ralston took second place in E3, with a total time of 1:34:25.846. Third place was awarded to Andy Wilksch (Motul Pirelli Sherco Factory Team), who has maintained his consistently dominant presence at the front of the pack, finishing today with a total time of 1:36:35.324.
“Today was a good day,” confirmed Chucky.
“The tests were super technical and tricky, which made for a strong day of racing. The competition in our class is great and makes the win that bit sweeter”.
AORC E3 Round 5 Top 10 Provisional Results:
- Daniel Sanders (Husqvarna Enduro Racing Team) 1:30:23.121
- Beau Ralston 1:34:25.846
- Andy Wilksch (Motul Pirelli Sherco Factory Team) 1:36:35.324
- Jesse Lawton 1:41:02.220
- Matt Murray 1:43:13.132
- Lachlan Smith 1:49:34.627
- Daniel Welsh 1:50.18.512
- Luke Bunnik 1:50:20.211
- Matthew Beaumont 1:59:23.715
- Luke Morrison 2:00:19.050
At points it looked like his victory reign might well be ending but true to form, Bacon brought it home today to take out the EJ Round 5 win. Clocking in a total time of 1:41:50.353, Bacon finished ahead of Cooper Sheidow (Kessner Motorcycles), who took second place with a time of 1:45:48.459. Nathan Howe (Bunbury KTM Suzuki) stole away the third and final podium position from Josh Brierley (Nowra Motorcycles), finishing Round 5 with a total time of 1:46:30.201.
AORC EJ Round 5 Top 10 Provisional Results:
- Kyron Bacon (MX Store, KTM) 1:41:50.353
- Cooper Sheidow (Kessner Motorcycles) 1:45:48.459
- Nathan Howe (Bunbury KTM Suzuki) 1:46:30.201
- Josh Brierley (Nowra Motorcycles) 1:47:12.090
- Riley Nancarrow (Dahlsens) 1:48:33.787
- Korey McMahon 1:49:05.359
- Ben Bertinazzi (Tyrepower) 1:50:21.952
- Benjamin Teed 1:51:09.988
- Thomas Teed 1:52:14.908
- Matt Pye 1:52:49.357
We return tomorrow for Round 6 of the 2019 AORC season, featuring another Sprint racing format, with our E1, E2, E3 and EJ classes tackling two back-to-back tests to decide who will take home the glory.
Don’t miss a minute of the action of the 2019 Yamaha Australian Off-Road Championship by visiting the AORC Website at aorc.org.au, or by following the Yamaha AORC on Twitter andFacebook as well as @aorc on Instagram. Don’t forget to download the Official AORC app via Team App. It’s as easy as download Team App and search ‘AORC’!*
Images courtesy of John Pearson Media